Friday, December 17, 2010

This Week I Will Write an Environmental Christmas Song


Even though I don’t celebrate Christmas, I love the holiday spirit that fills every shop, classroom and home I go to. So, I figured what better in this season of giving than to make sure we give to each other without taking from the planet. Here, wishing you a very Happy Holiday, with no cost to the environment, Adam sings:
The Twelve Days of Environmentally
Conscious Christmas


The Twelve Days of Environmentally Conscious Christmas 
On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me
a Christmas tree that still has its roots
On the second day of Christmas my true love gave to me 2 popcorn garlands
On the third day of Christmas my true love gave to me 3 e-subscriptions
On the fourth day of Christmas my true love gave to me 4 bicycles
On the fifth day of Christmas my true love gave to me 5 Chevy Volts
On the sixth day of Christmas my true love gave to me 6 low flow faucets
On the seventh day of Christmas my true love gave to me 7 cleaning lemons
On the eighth day of Christmas my true love gave to me 8 veggie dinners
On the ninth day of Christmas my true love gave to me 9 gifts wrapped in comics
On the tenth day of Christmas my true love gave to me 10 canvas bags
On the eleventh day of Christmas my true love gave to me 11 LED lights
On the twelfth day of Christmas my true love gave to me 12 rainforest acres

Day 1
You can buy a Christmas tree with roots which can be replanted into the ground so that you can reuse the tree next year. Friends of the Urban Forest of San Francisco (Fuf.net) rents nontraditional trees, such as Southern Magnolia and Strawberry, for $150, and replants them on city streets once Christmas is over.

Day 2
Try some old-fashioned, environmentally friendly garland like popcorn, cranberries and paper chains made from old magazines or junk mail.

Day 7
Lemons are one of the best natural cleaners around. They clean, disinfect, look pretty and smell fabulous.

Day 9
Try wrapping gifts in unusual choices like comics or magazine pages. Or scarves and dish cloths that become part of the gift.

Day 10
Take your own bags to do your shopping so you don’t wind up throwing away a pile of plastic.

Day 11
LED lights use 80-90% less energy compared to old light bulbs.

Day 12
Adopt an acre or more of rainforest through the Nature Conservancy. You can choose what region. http://adopt.nature.org/


Tikkun olam means, in its most basic form, repairing the world. It is an ancient term from long before we worried about carbon emissions or mercury in our fish. It promotes the idea that we are the stewards of our planet and we that must be constant and vigilant in our responsibility. And not only must we take care of the earth and seas and creatures, but we have to fix what is broken. And this is our job for as long as we are on this planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment