- The livestock sector emits 37 percent of the world’s anthropogenic methane, which has 23 times more global warming potential than CO2.
- Livestock are responsible for 64 percent anthropogenic ammonia emissions, which contribute significantly to acid rain and ecosystem acidification.
- The livestock sector is responsible for 8 percent of global human water use.
- Pollution from animal wastes, antibiotics and hormones, feedcrop chemical pesticides and fertilizers, and pasture sediments are a major ecological problem.
- Livestock production is expected to double by 2050.
I should point out that the Livestock’s Long Shadow report isn’t all doom and gloom. It details ways in which livestock producers can manage their operations to mitigate the impact and damage of meat production. It also recommends sensible regulations to achieve this.
So, that’s the industry’s problem, right?
Here are both links: